Our first lesson will be in June and I have been reading about it online.
Here is some of the things I found out:
Horses have been utilized as a therapeutic aid since the ancient Greeks used them for those people who had incurable illnesses. The benefits of therapeutic riding have been dated back to 17th century literature where it is documented that it was prescribed for gout, neurological disorder and low morale.
Horses provide a unique neuromuscular stimulation when being ridden through their one of a kind movement. Horses move in a three-beat rhythmic motion that mimics the human movement of walking. While riding, the horses stride acts to move the rider's pelvis in the same rotation and side-to-side movement that occurs when walking. The horses adjustable gait promotes riders to constantly adjust the speed to achieve the desired pelvic motion while promoting strength, balance, coordination, flexibility and confidence. One does not have to ride to achieve the desired effects of therapy. Horses can act as an aid by giving those with disabilities a companion to care for. Grooming such as brushing, bathing, and currying aid in joint range of motion and have a relaxing and calming effect.
- Improved balance and muscle strength
- Improved coordination and faster reflexes
- Increased muscular control
- Improved postural control
- Decreased spasticity
- Increased range of motion of joints
- Stretching of tight or spastic muscles
- Increased endurance and low-level cardiovascular conditioning
- Stimulates Sensory integration
- Improved visual-spatial perception
- Improved gross and fine motor skills
- Improved self-confidence
- Increased self-esteem and self image
- Development of patience
- Emotional control and self-discipline
- Expansion of locus of control
- Improved risk-taking abilities
- Sense of normality
- Socialization and improved interpersonal skills
- Increased perception of quality of life and life satisfaction
- Stress reduction
Isn't that kind of amazing?! I am very excited for this and I HOPE Hailey enjoys it. It's something I have been thinking about doing for a long time and moneywise it has never panned out. We are so grateful for Friends, Family, and Strangers who help pull together when we are in need. You guys are the best!